Aloha and Mahalo

So we went to the Big Island to celebrate our one year anniversary. I’ve been to Maui, Kauai, and Oahu–so this was a new adventure. The island is very dry on the Kona Coast where we stayed, but we found lots to do. We arrived and it was late, so no time for checking out the prop

erty of the Four Seasons. The staff was fabulous and they upgraded us to a suite for our celebration! The room was gorgeous and they had two dozen red roses for us in a tropical arrangement. There was also the bouquet I’d had made for my hubby as a welcoming gift.


The next morning, we sat on the balcony and had this

amazing view. We fed the red birds that came looking for nibbles of the banana bread I baked and brought with.


That Sunday morning, we went to a church service on the beach and joined the Calvary Chapel. Pastor Izzy did a beautiful job delivering the Word from Samuel. From there, we had the best hamburgers ever. A gecko ran passed my plate! (We were eating outside.) This is us at the restaurant.


We walked around Kona, did a little shopping. We laid out at the hotel, had a good dinner, then Monday, we drove to Volcano National Park. The road was pretty tight and winding. All I can say is–thank goodness I don’t get motion sickness.


This is the site where the volcano is currently flowing lava. All you see is the gases coming out of this crater, but there is a lava tube that’s flowing into the ocean. We saw this quite well from our helicopter ride. The stuff that looks like steam is very harmful to you. It’s called VOG and unfortunately, if the tradewinds aren’t blowing, you breathe that stuff in.


Later that night, we enjoyed our anniversary dinner at the restaurant above on the Four Seasons property. We had a romantic sunset dinner.

The next day, we took a helicopter ride and saw the volcano from the air. Here’s part of the lava tube where you can see the red-hot lava. It was a once in a lifetime chance to see it. I loved that helicopter ride! My first time in one. I may take lessons just to learn how to fly one. I thought it was awesome.


We got to fly over Harrison Ford’s house, then our hotel.


Back on the ground, we took a photo with our pilot–Koji (I’m sure I’m not spelling that right–he was awesome!)


The next day we rented a Harley and drove up passed Waimea and to the lush coast. We had reservations to ride ATVs in the forest and go swimming in a waterfall.


This was, hands down, the dustiest ATV ride I have ever been on. On the ride up, on the motorcycle, I kept thinking the VOG was getting to me because I had a tight chest and sore throat. Yeah well . . . The next day I woke up sick. Nobody wants to go to paradise and have a sore throat. I slept most of the day. Friday–we were due to fly home around noon. My husband had to take me to the Waimea ER where they confirmed I had strep.

I’m home now and I’m still not feeling quite 100%. I’ll be so glad NOT to be sick anymore!

The Hawaii trip was fabulous and fun, packed full of lots of things. I love that about my hubby–he likes to get up and go, or relax by the pool. Me–I love to see new things and do all that there is to do while I’m on vacation. I don’t usually go for the R & R. But I do enjoy a good meal and a glass of wine at sunset. That was just heavenly.

Posted in